Developing a brand strategy is an integral first step in establishing your identity, but it’s oftentimes overlooked or ignored. And although it may sound overwhelming and out of your comfort zone, it is worth the effort.
We’ve developed a few tips to help you get started.
six tips for crafting an impactful brand strategy
1. Start with a clear understanding of who you are and what your vision for the future is; and ensure all stakeholders agree.
2. Establish your target audience.
While we’d all like to think that “everyone” is our target audience, brands that can narrow down their audience and build a brand around their needs/problems, will provide greater value to consumers.
3. Understand your competition backwards and forwards.
This will allow you to ensure you are crafting a unique and differentiated brand that stands out from the crowd.
4. Find your insight.
In branding, an insight is an “aha” moment that is achieved when you have a clear understanding of your audience and competition. It’s generally something no one else seems to have uncovered, but seems obvious.
5. Give your brand a personality.
At Folk, we use archetypes to assign human-like characteristics to every brand we craft. This allows us to crate brand that are more relatable; making a deeper connection with audiences. If you are unfamiliar with archetypes, you can also simply assign your brand with personality traits. The most important factor when creating a personality for your brand is to make sure it will resonate with your audience.
6. Start crafting your strategy.
- Position: Your position will define how you are perceived in the minds of consumers.
- Voice/tone/personality: This should be based off your archetype(s) and should be used throughout all communication.
- Mission statement: Outlines who you are and why you exist.
- Vision statement: Outlines your vision for the future.
- Key message: Developed to resonate with audience, and all communication should ladder up to this message. Should include who you are, what you do and what benefit you provide to consumers.
Do you have questions about how to craft a brand strategy?
Folk Lore is a blog series, featuring tips, beliefs and insights to help businesses and startups build strong brands.